What do these three figures have in common? One, they attract large droves of people. Two, I saw each of them this past weekend. I find it very interesting to watch people watch important people. People often stare at those whom we deem 'super-human' and gaze intently for a spark of extra-humanness. But as I looked at two of these men who I have admired for many years, I recognized more than ever that these men were simply just that: men. Men with frailties, errors, and failures.

Yet, there was an altogether different person whom I was able to see this past weekend. In my mind's eye, I saw Jesus Christ exalted to a place far above great heroes and admirable men. Through the dramatization of baptism, I saw his great work on my behalf. Through the practice of communion, I remembered the weighty wrath he carried for me. Through the joint worship, I reveled in his love towards me. As we gaze, we do not nor will we ever see a mere man. We see the ascended Christ, the savior of the world. Yes, he too attracted crowds while on earth, but his following will last an eternity. We are not struck with his manishness but with his supremacy, his majesty, and his uniqueness.